Ken Thompson Biography
Kenneth lane Thompson was born on 4th February 1943 in New Orleans Louisiana, U.S. He’s a pc scientist. Thompson labored for a very long time at Bell Labs. He designed the unique Unix operating system and in addition carried out it whereas working at bell labs. Thompson was the co-winner of the Turing award in 1983. He’s well-known for his work on Unix working system.
Schooling and Private Life
Thompson accomplished his bachelor’s in 1965 and grasp’s in 1966 from the College of California, Berkeley. He obtained bachelor’s and grasp’s levels in electrical engineering and pc science.
Ken Thompson is married and he has a son additionally.
|Title||Kenneth lane Thompson|
|Delivery||4th February 1943|
|Birthplace||New Orleans Louisiana, U.S.|
|Schooling||Bachelor’s diploma in Sciences (1965) and Grasp’s Diploma (1966)|
Profession and Analysis
Thompson began work in Bell labs in 1966. Thompson and Dennis Ritchie labored collectively on Multics working system at Bell labs. At the moment Thompson created a Programming language named Bon. Area journey (a online game) was additionally created by him. Multics working system is funded by Superior Analysis Initiatives Company and developed by researchers on the Massachusetts Institute of Expertise together with Bell labs and Normal electrical co. Later the mother or father firm (AT & T Company) of Bell labs withdrew from the Multics venture.
He began creating a extra versatile working system for PDP-7 a mini-computer. After just a few months, Thompson and Ritchie created Unix. Unix’s identify was urged by Brian Kernighan. In 1970 Thompson invented the B Programming language for Unix with some assist from Dennis Ritchie.
Thompson and Robb Pike developed UTF-8 collectively in 1992. Thompson continued analysis with Ritchie at Bell labs. Thompson retired from Bell Labs within the 12 months 2000 and began work at Intrisphere. Now Thompson working at Google as a famend engineer.
When somebody requested him how he discovered to program then Thompson mentioned that he was all the time fascinated with logic and even in grade college he had labored on arithmetic issues in binary.
- Thompson was elected to the Nationwide Academy of Engineering for making Unix (An working system) in
the 12 months 1980.
- Thompson was elected the Member of the Nationwide Academy of Science in 1985.
- Thompson was the co-winner of the Turing Award within the 12 months 1983.
- Thompson obtained the IEEE Richard W. Hamming medal from the Institute of Electricals and Electronics Engineers in 1990.
- Thompson and Ritchie received the Nationwide Medal of Expertise within the 12 months 1999 for inventing the
Unix working system and C language.
- Ken Thompson obtained Tsutomu Kanai Award from the Institute of Electricals and Electronics Engineers in 1999.
- Thompson and Dennis Ritchie have been awarded the Japan Prize for Info and communication within the 12 months 2011 for creating the Unix working system.